Apr 9, 2008

When the worst becomes the best

I like to work in series. For instance, four or so shirts, each in a different size, done all pretty much the same. It takes me so darn long to conceptualize what I'm going to do, planning designs and mixing colors, that to do just one of something seems silly.
 
So, there I was with a series of four tees I was dying green, yellow, and brown. I was on the last one and hadn't mixed quite enough brown and was furiously scrabbling around the bottom of my dye containers, splashing on dye and trying by sheer force of energy to get that last one done. Well, it came out pretty dotty and splotchy. I thought it was hopeless. Too crazy. At least I can test out some rubber stamps on it, I thought, since in won't matter what I do to it at this point.
 
I started stamping away with bugs and snails and grasshoppers. I liked the way the snails looked the best, so I did a more restrained version with those on the other three shirts. Then I set everything aside. When I came back the next day with a fresh eye...those three shirts were nice. But that crazy forth one? I love it best. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment