Jul 29, 2009

'Tis the season of the cucumber around here. Mr. Fishnoodle asked me to plant more cukes this year so he could make pickles. [I grow the veggies, he processes them; that's our system] Well! You know those long, English type they sell shrink-wrapped in the grocery store? We've got loads of them. Last weekend we'd accumulated about 100 in the fridge, and so we pulled them all out for the pickle-making session. Now we know why they are shrink-wrapped. Some were rubbery, some fuzzy - back they went to the compost from whence they came. The husband turned the good ones into 7 quarts and 14 pints of homemade, organic, bread-and-butter pickles. Quite an achievement that we'll enjoy all winter.
As for me, I've been mixing it up with color that's not exactly pickle-green. Solid color Snappers stocking Thursday at noon, with colorways mostly from nature and a few from highly unnatural cupcakes, just for fun.

3 comments:

  1. I am afraid to try pickling! Send some our way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm afraid too but dh is a chemist so he's got skills.
    We've been giving away cucumbers all over the neighborhood, even brought them to a party to give out as "favors". And then I picked another dozen today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it. Where do you order your label. I want to find screen printed ones for my wool covers.

    ReplyDelete